Cheese Grotto Piatto
FOR THE CHEESE LOVER WITH A TINY KITCHEN.
- Order by 3pm to have it shipped next business day
- $10 flat rate shipping
- Automatic Membership to Exclusive Monthly Deals on Cheese & Accouterments.
The perfect introductory model for cheese lovers with more modest cheese purchasing habits and not a lot of space. Whether it’s a gift, or for serving before or after a dinner at home, the Grotto Piatto is the ideal cheese storage solution for compact living.
Simple magnetic assembly of the Grotto makes it easy to store on the kitchen counter (under 70 degrees F) or in the fridge. Store the Grotto Piatto flat in a cupboard when not in use!
- Smaller footprint than the Cheese Grotto Classico, Cheese Grotto Fresco, and Cheese Grotto Mezzo
- Choice of frame material (Bamboo or UV Finished Birch)
- Bamboo Serving Shelf
- 1 handcrafted clay brick for humidity control
- Holds up to 1 pound of cheese, 2 to 3 different pieces
- The powerful pre-installed magnets in each panel make it easy to assemble and disassemble when not in use
- Bamboo and birch do not warp
- Finished birch is stain resistant
- Genuine leather tab with copper mount
- Plexi-glass paneling for easy viewing
- Sliding door is easy to open and close in the refrigerator
- Breathable back panel
- Made in the USA (New York)
- Handwash only
Use & Care
- For long term storage of cheese, it is recommended to keep the Cheese Grotto at refrigeration temperatures (34ºF to 39º F, preferably 39ºF). For 7 to 10 days, you can store cheese in the Grotto under 70ºF, like the French do.
- Hand wash bamboo shelf with extremely hot water and a splash of distilled white vinegar.
- Allow the Grotto shelves to air dry between uses
- For maintenance of the bamboo shelf, a monthly application of mineral oil is recommended
- 6.5 inches deep, 6 inches wide, 6 inches tall
- 2 pounds
- Materials designed for durability
- Powerful pre-installed magnets in each panel
- No tooling, just align the panels correctly and start using it
We designed the Cheese Grotto Piatto as a flatpack solution for your every day cheese storage needs. Just because you have a small kitchen doesn't mean you don't also deserve the best way to store cheese, cheese expert approved.
The bonus is the the Piatto can be easily assembled and disassembled to be stored flat when not in use. The pre-installed magnetic panels only require you to align each side of the Grotto properly for them to automatically lock into place. No additional tooling involved!
Birchwood has been traditionally used in cheese preservation for hundreds of years. Its bark has been wrapped as a belt around soft cheeses for even ripening and added woodsy flavor, and has been made into barrels for the aging of Greek Feta. It’s also been used during the smoking of Idiazabal cheese. Most importantly, birch has been used as shelves for aging in caves. Its tight surface is slower to absorb and release moisture, making it excellent for long-term storage. The finished birch featured in this model is sustainably made, and non-toxic. The finish on the birch makes it mold and stain resistant, both in the interior and exterior.
The architecturally handsome bamboo is extremely resilient, sustainable, and durable over a lifetime (3 X stronger than oak).
The Grotto Piatto is a one-shelf size that fits up to 1 pound of cheese of varying sizes and styles. With a base of 6 inches by 6.5 inches and a height of 6 inches, the Grotto Piatto is an ideal storage solution for serving and storing cheeses throughout the week. The back panel is breathable, making for a perfect climate for simple, long-term storage of wedges and wheels of cheese in the refrigerator or short term storage on the kitchen counter.
Wood has the potential to harbor bacteria and pathogens if not cleaned properly and regularly.
Though Cheese Grotto’s Jessica Sennett is an expert at bringing out cheese’s best flavors, she is not an expert in food safety and she does not offer any opinion about food safety. New York Department of Health regulations requires restaurants to store cheese at a temperature below 45 degrees F, except for up to two hours during preparation for food service. Nothing in Cheese Grotto’s materials, including statements regarding the shelf life of cheese, is intended to (and the materials should not be interpreted to) conflict with food safety regulations and recommendations.